Ok, here’s the two post I’ve written about my design brainstorming for the challenge:
With the start of this year’s The Sawdust Chronicles Build Challenge, I started brainstorming as I was first listening to the kick-off podcast. This sketch was the first idea to come to full fruition. However, this isn’t what I plan to submit for the challenge. Thus, I present the first “Entry that Wasn’t”
With this challenge’s focus being “Surface,” my mind immediately jumped to creating a piece that had multiple surfaces to it. I wanted each surface to also be accessible, despite the stacked orientation of
each level. This led to the telescoping nature of the levels. From a materials/finish perspective, there would be a wide variety. I would want a different species of highly colored wood (paduak, purpleheart,
etc) to make up the horizontal surfaces. To further highlight those woods, I would paint all the vertical surfaces black, with an exception for the drawer front. Note: this wouldn’t be permissable in
this bulid challenge – no paint allowed.
There are a few design elements that I like in this piece. The middle level has a round top. To support that, the side walls beneath the circle are curved themselves, something that isn’t readily evident
with my currently skills in drawing.
The arched stretcher on the lowest supports was a late addition to the design that I enjoy. Originally I drew this piece with all of the “legs” purely vertical. When I redrew on something nicer than a
napkin, I realized that the lowest supports would offer little lateral support – something that wouldn’t work on the base of a piece. This led me to cant the legs out slightly, which should support the piece
side to side. To add strength to the front-to-back axis, I added the stretcher.
I’m unsure about the lowest platform. I like the curved end profile, but for what really is an end table, I don’t think you really need that board. If there was another wood species you wanted to highlight,
that might be enough of an excuse – but I don’t really see it in hindsight.
Overall, I find this was an interesting exercise. It was definitely worth the time spent, as there are a couple of elements that I plan to put into my build challenge entry. Which ones? You’ll have to stay
tuned to find out 😉
And tonight’s post
Tonight’s entry is another entry that came out of my initial brainstorming for the Build Challenge. I call it the sequel to “The Entry That Wasn’t”
If you’re wondering why I haven’t shown more than one drawing, it’s because I don’t have one. This isn’t a totally flushed out design. Normally I wouldn’t want to post a half-baked idea, but that’s as far
as I’ve gone with this branch of brainstorming. I thought out enough to get a generic form, but didn’t go further.
I think of this as a contemporary night stand or valet. The curved spine running the height of the piece is also the absolute back of the piece; the shelves are anchored to it. The vertical lines between the base and the shelf is actually a support bracket with a curve similar to the back spine. I see the back spine as some type of figured maple, with a complementing species for the shelves. I also think you could forgo the base and wall mount the piece. Actually, I think I like it better that way.
I know – a lousy excuse for a design idea. I’m just trying to document my entire process for the build challenge.